Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sushi Tei

Sushi Tei is one of my favourite Japanese restaurants that offers pretty good Japanese food without burning too big a hole in my wallet. I've been to their branches at The Paragon, Ngee Ann City, Raffles City, Vivocity and Holland Village.

My experience at Ngee Ann City is by far, the poorest due to the poor attitude and service from the staff. And because the staff spoilt my mood during the meal, I have since crossed out Ngee Ann City Sushi Tei. The other outlets that I've visited so far has good and consistent standards though.

<3
Love their colour theme!
One thing I love about Japanese restaurants is that they have a clean and simple approach to their colours and decor. I love Sushi Tei's cosy ambience thanks to the warm colours they use. I feel very comfortable and could chill for a few hours there with my awesome girlfriends! Good company is like a bonus on top of a great meal!

View from the outdoor seating area
Hanasaki Ika ($4.80)
My all time favourite sashimi besides salmon is squid. Sadly, raw squid is not selling well in Sushi Tei so they took out my forever-missed-with-much-love, Ika Chidori - raw squid and seaweed. That leaves me with only Hanasaki Ika - raw squid with smelt roe, which will suffice.

Ika Chidori - the best photo i can find from my old albums.
Almost all other Japanese restaurants I've visited serve only ika sashimi in big flat pieces! I swear small strips of raw squid taste better! I hope Sushi Tei will not take out Hanasaki Ika shall the sales be poor as well... because then I will have one less thing to look forward in life...

Chuka Kurage ($4.80)
In my honest opinion, I think it's quite hard to screw up Chuka Kurage (jellyfish). Always good!

Sashimi Salad ($9) - Raw salmon, Tuna, Squid and a few Boiled Octopus
$9 for a plate of salad with generous amount of sashimi is great value! Of course the raw salmon or tuna's texture and quality in this salad can't be compared with those that are nicely sliced (which is so costly).

Seafood Salad ($9) - Crabstick, Prawns amd Boiled Octopus
The seafood salad has less ingredients but still good! Plus.... what makes their salad worth ordering is also because of their dressing! I bet you can eat all the veggies in the whole wide world as long as you have got Sushi Tei dressing to go along with it.

Chawanmushi ($4)
Chawanmushi is a compulsory dish for me. The hot and smooth egg custard with mushrooms, crabstick, chicken and gingko nut gives me much comfort.

Cha Soba ($8)
Cha Soba noodles are Soba noodles made of buckwheat flour and wheat flour with the added ingredient of fresh green tea leaves. It is served with ice cubes underneath the noodles and it taste great after you dip it into the sauce they provide. The texture of Sushi Tei's Cha Soba noodles is good but I prefer Ichiban Sushi's Cha Soba sauce more. Sushi Tei's one tasted bland with the noodles.

Dobinmushi ($6.50)
Enjoy the soup like you would enjoy tea
Dobinmushi or tea pot soup is of Japanese seafood broth that taste extremely light and refreshing especially after you squeeze the lime in! Don't have too high expectations of the ingredients inside cause the main star is the soup! I love it!

Crunchy Tuna ($9)
Dry and not really crunchy..
Deep fried minced tuna roll with chopped garlic, topped with flying fish roe, spring onion and accompanied with chilli mayonnaise, the Crunchy Tuna was a disappointment. It tasted dry, soggy and there is some fishy smell present. Should have stick to our usual Salmon/Ebi Mentaiyaki (also our favourites at Sushi Tei!)

Asari Sakamushi ($12) - Asari clams steamed with Japanese sake
Very clear and light tasting soup
The clams are sweet and fresh. The soup taste even lighter than Dobinmushi's and I guess not alot of Sake was used. I would rather order Dobinmushi's soup instead of this the next time round.

Be prepared to queue for at least 10 minutes or more during lunch and dinner hours or simply go earlier during off peak hours like I always do - so I can get seated immediately! If you feel like having an extra something besides what is offered in their usual menu, do take note of their seasonal (spring, summer, autumn, winter) special menu!

Sushi Tei  
Holland Village Shopping Mall
3 Lorong Liput
#01-08  
Singapore 277725
Tel: 64632310
Daily: 11.30am - 10pm
http://www.sushitei.com.sg/

2 comments:

  1. I just love Asian food. That all looks delicious. I like your heading under your title, by the way (it has the name of my blog in it). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! hi nmos! thanks for dropping by! followed you and i love to ONNN too! =D

    Cheers to great food!

    ReplyDelete