Monday, August 15, 2011

Yum Cha Dim Sum Buffet

I can never reject dim sum offered to me even if I am already full. My greediness and lust for good dim sum will never DIE. There are 3 items that I must always order when I am at a dimsum restaurant or stall and they are my forever favourite Chicken Claw, Siew Mai & Har Gao.

I like going to Yum Cha at Chinatown for a good session of non stop dim sum but they only offer the high tea buffet in the afternoon from 3-6pm and it's only available on weekdays (excluding PH) so if you work office hours you might have to apply leave in order to enjoy their dim sum buffet. It can get pretty hectic and noisy when crowded and based on my experience visiting Yum Cha, it's common to wait wait and wait for your food. The ladies have to push the trolley to each table and if you are unlucky, when the trolley reach you, you might just have to wait for the next batch for certain items. Their staff can appear as rather unfriendly and slow in service. Plus if you have a growling stomach, waiting is a game you wish they don't play with you.

There are many dim sum restaurants and stalls that I haven't had a chance to visit and dine at yet but it can be a pretty big turn off for me if the prawns used are little/small/floury and hidden or mashed up in some sort of a meat paste. Which is why... I love love love that Yum Cha is so generous with the prawns they buy and use in their siew mai and har gao! Words cannot describe how much I love prawns and theirs is crunchy and plenty in each bite! *dreams*

Clockwise from bottom, Har Gao, Red bean paste and banana fritter, Chicken Claws
Siew Mai and Crystal Custard Dumpling
Their crystal custard dumpling was so-so and their chicken claws wasn't fantastic but at least I didn't leave craving for chicken claws still. You might want to try their scallop dumpling which were pretty good and their Mango and Prawn fritter which were refreshing and tasty! One of their signature dessert is their deep fried red bean paste and banana fritter which Makan Boy loves! Since I do not have a liking for deep fried banana I ate half of one and he ate another 5.5 more. =D

Good news is they serve dim sum all day so you might want to drop by even after the buffet hours!

Yum Cha Chinatown
20 Trengganu Street
#02-01
Singapore 058479
Tel: 63721717
Mon - Fri: 11am -11pm
Sat, Sun and PH: 9am -11pm
High tea buffet 3-6pm: Adult 19.80++ Children (12 yrs and below) $15.80++
www.yumcha.com.sg

1 comment: